SW corner of the NE 1/4 Section 36, Town 4N, Range 9E
Madison Township, Jefferson County, Indiana.
Longitude 85° 28.181' Latitude 38° 44.745'
By Ruth Hoggatt
© Feb 14, 2001 & Sep 14, 2002
The Booth Cemetery is located on the east side of Grange Hall Road, midway between Interstate Block Road and the Kent Road (S.R. 256). A path leads back into the woods approximately 195' where the cemetery is located on the south (right) side. The dimensions of the cemetery are approximately 105' north and south, and 117' east and west.
On Aug. 14, 1837, Israel & Harriet Jack conveyed a parcel of land for $12, in the West lot of the SE ¼ of Section 36, T4N, R9E, on the Brownstown Road from Madison [now Grange Hall Road] to Jonathan Brody, William Bouldin, Charles Jacobs, David Washington & Jonathan R. Thurman, Trustees of the Graysville Meeting House of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The property dimensions were 33' north & south, and 330' east & west. The trustees were instructed to erect a house or place of worship for the use of the members of the Methodist E. Church. It is not known whether or not a church was built on this lot, as no evidence remains. However, nineteen years later, on Jun. 7, 1856, Harriet Jack, for $2.50, conveyed an additional acre adjoining the north side of the above property, to William Kersey, Nelson Ellington & John Beatie, trustees. The property was located in the SW corner of the NE ¼ of Section 36, T4N, R9E. The dimensions were 132' north & south, and 330' east & west. The trustees were to erect a house or place of worship for the use of the members of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. It appears that the Booth cemetery is partially located on the latter parcel of land.
On June 19, 1855, Peter Booth purchased 40 acres from Edgar & Lydia Knowles, in the NW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 36, T4N, R9E. He also purchased five acres, plus one acre on Apr. 3, 1872, from William Holton and his wife Mary, adjoining the A.M.E. Church lot on the north, along what is now Grange Hall Road. (The one acre mentioned in this deed, ran north and south 990', and 41.25' east and west, on the east side of the five acre tract which was 965' x 222.75'.) This was the same land that James Boldin died seized of, and which was set apart and deeded to his widow Mary Jane Boldin-Holton.
According to the 1859/1860 Madison City Directory, Peter Booth was the minister of the Walnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church, in Madison. Peter Booth's land near the church and cemetery, was passed down through his family, until 1995, when all of the property was sold, except 1.251 acres, which has been said to contain the Booth Cemetery. It is unclear to this researcher, if the cemetery is located on this 1.251 acre. From deed records, it appears to be south of this property. Further research is needed to learn the cemetery's history.
On Jun. 19, 1855, a year before the A.M.E. Church was founded, Edgar and Lydia Ann Knowles sold to Peter Booth 40 acres in the North ½ of the West ½ of the NE ¼ of Section 36, T4, R9E; and 2 acres in the SW corner of the SE ¼ of the NE ¼. Peter Booth was born in Kentucky. According to the 1859/1860 Madison City Directory, Rev. Peter Booth was the minister of the Walnut Street Methodist Episcopal Church, in Madison. It is possible that he lived in Louisville, Kentucky before moving to Jefferson County, Indiana, as a Peter Boothe was enumerated in Louisville on Aug. 1st 1850. He was listed as 51 years of age, born in Kentucky, and a minister. It may also be possible, that he was in Jefferson County, Indiana before 1850, as a Peter Booth married Sarah Young in Jefferson County, on July 21, 1841. On October 4, 1855, Peter Booth married Lucy Ann Jagers?, in Jefferson County, Indiana.
On the 1876 plat map, it shows that Peter Booth also owned land which stretched along what is now the Grange Hall Road.
Further research is needed to learn when the A.M.E. Church sold their property, and when the Booth family purchased the section of land where the cemetery is located.
The two Civil War veterans who are buried here served in the United States Colored Troops. The 28th U.S.C.T. was organized at Indianapolis Dec. 24, 1863 - Mar. 31, 1864; and, mustered out in Texas, on Nov. 8, 1865. The 117th U.S.C.T. was organized at Covington, Kentucky Jul. 18 to Sep. 27, 1864. The 117th served at Camp Nelson, Ky until October, 1864. According to the Camp Nelson Restoration and Preservaton Foundation, Camp Nelson was a Union quartermaster and commissary depot, recruitment center, and hospital facility located in Jessamine County, Kentucky. "Many of the black recruits, who were emancipated upon enlistment, brought their families with them to Camp Nelson in the hope that they would also be freed or at least escape slavery." Both of these brave men were in siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond, and the occupation of Richmond, as well as several skirmishes. The 117th mustered out at Texas Aug. 10, 1867.
Source used for locating the 1837 (Deed book N: 517) and 1856 (Deed book 13: 285) deeds: Bob Scott's records.
Forcen, J.R., Co. D., 28th U.S.C.T.
[Another view of stone]
[John R. Forson is listed in the "Register of Negroes & Mulattoes."
He was born on Nov. 3, 1826, in Bourbon Co., KY; in 1853, he lived
near Hanover, IN.]
Vincent, Henry, Co. G, 117th U.S.C.T.
Vincent, Susan, Died Dec 5, 1921, Aged 123 yrs
There are many unknown burials:
Broken off stone, with top missing.
Credit to the stone carver: A. Pool & Son, Lou., KY
Foot stone - P. B. [Perhaps Peter Booth.]
[Proximity of broken stone and P.B. foot stone to one another.]
Field stone - F. A.
Approx. 7 field stones [No visible inscriptions.]
Approx. 56 burials indicated by ground depressions, mostly found in rows.
Thanks to Elbert Hinds for his assistance in locating this cemetery.